Welcome!

I write young adult novels whenever I'm not taking care of children, making meals, and tackling the Mount Everest of laundry piles.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Eleven Questions Tag: My Answers

One of my writer buddies and Random House sister debut authors, Michelle Krys (you can find her here) tagged me a loooong while ago in a post where you are supposed to answer eleven questions about yourself on your blog then come up with eleven more and tag someone else. I...ahem, have been a bit of a blogging slacker...cough, and haven't gotten around to answering them until today.

I was too busy doing this:



AND getting stuck/blocked and doing this:


AND afterwards a whole lot of this which isn't the best reaction to the above. Let's just say the diet was derailed more than once in the past month.

 


But now I am officially on track and the writing is getting a little less daunting so, without further ado, here are my first five questions answered in a somewhat coherent fashion.( I'll get to the other six next post)


1. What are the top three books in your TBR pile?


Right now the top three are:
 Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindquist,

The Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore. This one I am currently reading. It was given to me by my agent, Lucienne Diver, because Rosemary is one of her other clients and she knew I'd dig it...and I do.

And Stein On Writing by Sol Stein

None of these are very new, but I am working on a heavy back log of good books. I like that there's one adult novel, one young adult, and a craft book. I try to move back and forth betweent the three.




2. Who is your top book boyfriend, dare I say husband?

If pressed I'd say that I am partial to Gale from The Hunger Games or Jace from Cassandra Clare's City of Bones books or maybe Sean Kendrick from The Scorpio Races. What can I say? I like my men full of action and a wee bit emotionally unreadable at the surface with deep stuff going on underneath.

3. If you could have written any YA book in history, which book would you choose and why?

Hmm, this is overly tough because I love so many books. I'll just default to my childhood and say The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe because I really, really loved it.

4. If you could live the life of any book heroine, who would you choose and why?

I'm not sure I want any of their lives wholly. Heroines have it TOUGH. But if I were looking specifically at awesomeness of the story, I'd have to say Lucy maybe from the book above because she lived an entire life in Narnia and still got to go home again.

5. Choose one: your book is a literary masterpiece with tons of critical acclaim but very, very lacklustre sales, or your book is a blockbuster of a novel with millions upon millions of copies sold but others question its quality and it is nearly universally bashed in the writing community, a la Twilight. There's no in between choice (Nice try!)

Yikes! The dreaded sell out question. Well, considering that I come from a very practical background I'd have to say that I would totally take the sell out road first and hope that at some point after I could write my literary masterpiece. I think it's possible to be breakout and also literary, but if I had to choose I'd go for the green. Plus I don't think I would hate having a lot of people get excited about my book. I want to write stories that entertain and engage people--stories that people will remember for a long while so whichever way I achieve that, I'll be happy. I guess considering the dire straits I'm currently in whilst waiting for my contract and advance and for the hubby's business to take off, I am feeling a little like this:


6 comments:

  1. I admire your restraint with not just reading ALL the YA books! I haven't read an adult book this year. And what's more *blush*, I'm yet to read any books at all on craft. I guess I'm learning on the job instead. Not my usual approach!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read a single book on craft either! Slackers!

      Delete
  2. Well, if you decide to read any the one above is brilliant! It just helps get my head in the right place for drafting. I always feel behind in the game because I haven't been a lifelong writer and haven't had a decent literature course since high school. I always feel like I'm running to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome responses, Amy! And in case you're wondering, I'd go for the green as well :D

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for tagging me! Good to know we think alike moneywise too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, team GALE! Loved Gale, though Peeta grew on me, I must say. :-) And stuffing your face with cake, writing, and napping sounds like the most awesome life! Good choices, Amy.

    ReplyDelete