Welcome!

I write young adult novels whenever I'm not taking care of children, making meals, and tackling the Mount Everest of laundry piles.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Next Week is FULL Of Awesome!




One of my all time favorite writing conferences begins next week. I'm talking about WriteOnCon, the online, absolutely FREE writers conference for young adult, middle grade, and picture book authors.

Here's why I like it:

1. You can attend in your pajamas while eating chocolate. What's not to love about being comfy and indulgent while learning how to be a better writer?

2. You can post your work: first five pages of your manuscript, your query, your synopsis. Not only do other writers take a look at them, but quite possibly lurking agents!! You could get discovered without actually ever querying!!

3. All kinds of talented authors contribute. There is no other con that I know of where so many authors give out advice at the same time.

4. You can talk directly to agents, ask them questions, and get answers right away during the live chats. Last year Jessica Sinsheimer stayed in a live chat LONG after she had to answering questions and it was one of the most informative and wonderful interactions I've had with an agent at a con. Every agent that participates here is so generous with their time and expertise. It literally bowled me over last year.

5. You can pitch an agent without all the face to face nervousness that usually accompanies a conference pitch. I participated in the Twitter pitch last year and it was seriously fun and my palms weren't even sweaty!

6. It's one of the easies places to find other writers, get a feel for what kind of things other people are writing, and generally figure out if what you're writing is unique. Reading other people's work is where I got the most out of the con.

7. I'm a part of it this year!!! That's right! I'm involved with the Lucky 13 writing and marketing tips (scheduled for Wednesday), am on the official books list, and giving away a critique!

So clear your schedule, gather some snacks and join me at the con this year. I promise that it will be worth your while! AND if you decide to attend and are posting work, let me know in the comments (remember to give me specifics on how to find your thread) so that I can drop by and read your work!!

12 comments:

  1. O_o My piece is already up at Write on Con (just my first 250 words & 5 pages), and people are enjoying it already. I love this conference and it's ironic I signed up for it this year (finally) because I can only be there for one day. Oh well.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's it under? I'll go searching....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm attending! My username is Beth Smith. I haven't posted anything yet, but will do so over the weekend.

    I'm so excited and nervous! This is my first year, and there's just so much going on! But I've taken a couple of days off work so I can make the most of my first writer's conference :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Beth! Can't wait to read your work!!! Have fun at your first conference. This one is the perfect place to get your feet wet. Be sure to let me know how it goes.

      Delete
    2. Stopping back because I just posted my query (eek!): http://writeoncon.com/forum/showthread.php?8899-YA-Ghost-Story-RESTLESS

      Delete
    3. I went and read it and I have to say I think it sounds utterly awesome!! SO crossing my fingers for you.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much, Amy! All the lovely feedback has been so encouraging. And thanks for offering to read -- that's so generous of you! I'll let you know if I need another pair of eyes :) Oh, and of course if you ever need another reader, I'd be more than happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really mean it, the premise for your story sounds VERY promising. I hope you get some attention at the con!

      Delete
  5. I'm hoping I can make time for this during work this week. Glad I know about it well ahead of time this year. Hope you have fun with your workshop and get to read a lot of exciting work! May be a good break during edits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am popping into the con on and off over the next few days, but am mostly reading your stuff:-) I should actually be done within the next two weeks. Normally I'm able to go quicker, but this summer is kicking my butt as far as finding time to get to all things writing! Totally ready to resume my normal schedule.

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy!

    I won your 50 page critique on Write On Con and I couldn't be more excited! Thank you so much for investing your time and thoughts into this conference. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, Lindsey! Glad you are my winner:-) You can contact me here (amychristineparker@gmail.com), but still let WriteOnCon know that we connected!

    ReplyDelete