Welcome!

I write young adult novels whenever I'm not taking care of children, making meals, and tackling the Mount Everest of laundry piles.

Monday, August 13, 2012

This Weekend: All Good Things....

SO, in honor of this, our final week (at least in my neck of the woods) before school starts, we took off to Orlando, stayed over one night, then hit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. It was...fun...but not as much fun as it has been in the past. Sounds crazy I know, but there it is. The night in the hotel meant my husband and I each slept with one child. There was a lot of this:

What is it about hotel beds that makes you want to bounce?


And even more of this:

Only these people look infinitely better than we did that morning.


Which we expect and have no problem with usually (and thought for that matter, that we wouldn't now). BUT we were just away and spent about a week in hotel rooms and another week rotating between family members' houses less than a month ago, so this ended up being one night too many. It sounded a lot better in theory than in practice.

The girls were moody and emotional AND at each other's throats. They aren't even at THAT time of life yet if you know what I mean, but there are moments when I start to wonder anyway. There was a lot of this:

Which meant I did a lot of this:



Then when we ran out of the hotel early the next morning to be at the amusement park right when it opened to hopefully beat the crowds into the Harry Potter part of the park and ran into this:


Add to that the fact that August is probably the worst month in Florida heat-wise than any other month, bar none and you'll understand why it didn't take long for all of us to look like this:



Okay, I'm exaggerrating a wee bit. There was fun this weekend: laughing and great memory/bonding type moments, but the high excitement that usually accompanies this type of escape was definitely missing and I'm pretty sure I know why. I think maybe this family is ready for school and the end of summer. The kids are ready to get back to their friends and my hubby and I are ready to get back to our regular schedules...to schedules in general. I guess all good things really must come to an end, otherwise we won't actually be able to appreciate them.





4 comments:

  1. How fun! And exhausting. :)
    I have two daughters, and we have a tradition. The last week of summer break, we call Summer Blowout Week. Everyday something fun is panned to celebrate and mark the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! Love the idea of one big blowout week. You'll have to let me know what you guys do this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the crabby parents and the fighting girls, it sounds like a great time, Amy. I've never been to HP world... I really want to go - kind of HP nerd ;-) I also wanted to say thank you for taking the time to critique my work....I forgot to check back to see if you commented here and I am so glad you gave me your advice. I really love the feedback I am getting at Write On Con. I'm going away for the next 2 weeks - will totally miss your blog posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have the opportunity, definitely go see the Harry Potter world at Universal. BUT go in Sept or early December if you can swing it when the crowds are smaller and you can really take it in. AND the Butterbeer is truly delicious!I'm glad you're posting on WriteOnCon! You are so way ahead of where I was last year with networking and I think you're definitely on the right track. I'll be crossing my fingers for you for the next couple of days for sure!

    ReplyDelete